This Fuller Life

Building health, sustainability and community.

Holy Basil Fall Harvest and Processing 2015

*This post is part of a series of posts based on my research as a masters student at UGA. To find out more go to my page Holy Basil Research.

Hmm, it seems like my last post was in September, so let’s catch up really quickly. Happy Halloween. Merry Christmas. Happy New year! I blinked and all of October, November and December just passed me by.  So much has happened that I want to tell you about. I have a few days before the spring semester classes start, and I made a goal to try to write 5 posts in 5 days to catch you up on what has happened since my last research update in September (has it really been that long? I still can’t believe it).

Let’s pick up where we left off. I had just posted about my first harvest and processing of holy basil. What I am now calling my ‘summer’ harvest. Approximately 8 weeks later on Oct 24th and 25th we performed a second and final harvest of the year, what I call the ‘fall’ harvest.

IMG_0333

The plants grew back beautifully and thrived in our warm Sept/Oct weather in Georgia.

IMG_0347

We went through and cut back at 15 cm just like the first time.

IMG_0353

We harvested each plant separately and kept them separate in stainless steel bowls.

IMG_0354

We recorded the mass of each plant.

IMG_0355

Then we created labels and separated them for bundling.

IMG_0367

Some plants were so big we needed to split them into multiple bundles so they would air dry evenly and not get moldy in the middle.

IMG_0093

We filled up the two racks in the kitchen just like last time, but we were not prepared for a harvest that was almost twice the amount of the first harvest.

IMG_0369

We had to move into the dry room at the garden since we ran out of space in the kitchen and had to make lots more hangers to hang up the bundles of holy basil.

IMG_0371

I had lots of great volunteers to help me!

IMG_0376

IMG_0379

We filled up 2 rooms full of holy basil. It was a sight to see and as you can imagine, very fragrant!

IMG_0431

It took about 3 weeks for it to dry since they was so much in the room.

IMG_0446

Then we processed all the dry plants by taking a dry mass of each plant, and stripping the leaves and flowers off the stem and discarding the stems.

IMG_0460

We processed for days…

IMG_0461

IMG_0463

IMG_0467

IMG_0471

IMG_0480

…and days  until we finally had an empty room with just a few leaves on the floor left to sweep up.

IMG_0454

Once all the leaves and flowers were stripped off for each plant sample we weighed out 100 grams to put in foil food safe bags. Previously we stored the dried plant material in paper bags but that was a bad idea because it gets exposed to humidity and can get contaminated with any smells lingering in the environment. So we transferred all the plant samples from paper bags from the summer harvest to foil lined bags so everything stayed consistent and the plant samples were protected from moisture, oxidation and other forces in the environment.

IMG_0456

We labeled each bag with the time of harvest – F(fall), the repetition – 2, the plant and where it was located in the field – B(12).

IMG_0598

After 40+ hours of work we had a table full of samples from our fall harvest.

IMG_0602

They got boxed up and samples from both the summer and fall harvest are being stored in a freezer to keep them stable until we are ready to take them to the lab for distillation. Tomorrow I will post about building the protocol for distillation!

To read more about my experience in graduate school, check out my page Holy Basil Research!

1 Comment

  1. I love this; it is so interesting!

Don't be shy, leave a comment and let me know what you think!

© 2017 This Fuller Life

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑